Fine Art/Painting by unknown artist

Question
lake scene
lake scene  
Hello, I wondered if this painting of a lake/mountain scene could be identified by you. The original oil painting has been signed by Ivan but there is no other name.Thanks for your help. D Scott

Answer
Darran,
Sometimes a photo is worth many words, as the old adage goes.  Your picture tells me quickly that your oil painting, while it may be original, is not necessarily of very high artistic caliber or merit.  Your artist could be (a)a "Sunday painter" that is to say, a hobbyist or (b) an art school student or (c) a commercial artist knocking them out quickly to earn next week's rent.  A pleasing scene, classic composition, but not a lot in the brushstokes and detail here to tell me that this was completed by a trained and widely recognized fine artist.  Not to say that if you like it, it might not look fine on your wall, and then you would enjoy seeing it every day. Have fun collecting art.  Visit lots of museums, attend local auctions, and keep doing what you are doing here: asking questions.

Stuart Cartwright