Fine Art/Windmill Oil Painting

Question
Windmill on the river
Windmill on the river  

Windmill on the river
Windmill on the river  
Hi Stuart,

My parents picked up an old oil painting on canvas many years ago at a second hand store - not sure if it was in the US or Canada.  I would like to know more info about it, who the artist was, what the value could be, etc.

Could you also recommend someone in the Denver CO area who could offer more info and possibly assist in the sale?

Thank you
Diane

Answer
Diane,
Greetings. This is a long shot, but you might turn your investigation towards a certain Alexander Boulet, born 1818, and who produced most of his art in the 1850s.  Not much known about him, save to say he is mentioned in three art directories (Davenports; Dunbiers; Gerdts)  What I really suspect is that you have a copy or reproduction possibly, though it is hard to tell from the small thumbnail picture I see here. Don't get your hopes too high.  I would guess your picture is worth $50-$100, though if it is found to be an original, and depending on multiple other factors, (size, condition, a known scene, etc.) it could be valued slightly higher.

PatrickJollyFineArt is a listed Denver, CO dealer in 19th & 20th Century fine art.  But your best bet will likely be Bruhn's Auctions on Arizona Street in Denver.  They are alspo on the web.

Stuart Cartwright