Fine Art/Identify?

Hi there,

I'm not sure if you can help me - I have a pair of, what appear to be pastel (possibly oil) portraits; I don't know very much about them other than that they were done in the early to mid 19th century, possibly in or around Jonesboro TN. I have been trying to identify the artist, and was wondering if you might be able to help me?

Thank you for posting the very good and  clear images, concerning the painting.

This would appear to be,  a work done by  a somewhat obscure   French artist - from the mid 19th century called Eugene Hallion.
He is a rather vague artist, working in and around the  1836’s  era - who often painted landscapes and one rarely finds his works; on the open market.
His output is not  so prolific and also the whole, the range of techniques which he used were pretty much confined to such thing as oils, drawings etc.

His subject matter, is also rather limited  to things like fishermen, Street scenes, Still life scenes etc.

The average prices for  any art works all depends on; size, quality, subject matter and condition-which are all highly important - and also do vary a great deal.

Unfortunately, the provided image of the painting,gives no indication, as to if it is indeed a genuine original, or perhaps just a reproduction.

It may well be an original, but that again, is a matter for verification by the whole "vetting" process.

Therefore, my advice would be for you to take it along to a good auction house near to where you live - and get a real  “hands on” examination of the work; in order to achieve an authentication.
If it is a real  original work, then the value will obviously much higher than a reproduction.

However, if it is really a genuine original  then the auction house can make a very good assessment; as to condition, provenance and value, etc.

The yellow pages, should point you in the direction of the auction houses in your location,

I would however, strongly advise in taking it along to at least 2 different auction houses for a valuation. Second opinions, are always very beneficial indeed.

Furthermore; should you desire to take it to auction - then I would also strongly advise, on selling it with a fixed “bottom end” reserve - but perhaps with a 10% auctioneers discretion.

Selling without a fixed reserve, is definitely not to recommended.

Very good luck at the auction houses.
I wish you all the success with the item, but I am sure that it will do quite well indeed.

Take care.

D. E. Lombardo

I am unable to answer enquiries concerning objects, which are NOT related to the areas of Fine Art and Antiques. Nor will I; on the sole basis of any photographic images be willing to give any definitive monetary valuations, or monetary opinions. In such cases I would always advise on getting “real time” valuations and opinions from reputable and qualified auction houses, or third parties. In some applicable cases, I may perhaps give general indications of value, based on the presented materials. True valuations always need a direct “hands on” approach, with perhaps also the necessary research and verifications. Broadly open to almost all questions, regarding the majority of both European, American quality objects, which are related to both Antiques and Fine Art. This also includes modern 20th century designer objects such as furniture etc. My own particular comfort zone areas would be; The decorative Arts, marble, stone, furniture, ivory, bone, amber, ceramics and porcelain, sculpture, glass, silver and metal objects etc. I will also answer inquiries, and give opinions concerning Dutch 17th, 18th and 19th century paintings. Please note that I do have limitations and cannot possibly answer all questions, as the field is very extensive. VERY IMPORTANT and PLEASE NOTE: Please note that; providing > GOOD CLEAR and Preferably High Resolution < photo's of the object(s)in question, is vital. Pics taken with a cell/mobile phone, are of a poor quality and best avoided. Posting signatures only, or just fragments of an artifact - will only provide me with insufficient information and it is often quite misleading. So please; Do post good clear overall images, with your question(s). Failing to do so, may cause rejection, which is also a great pity.

Since the early 90’s I lead a team of very enthusiastic staff at a business, where have the following disciplines; Restoration and refurbishment of historical buildings and gardens, including interior design. The restoration and care of Fine Art and Antiques at our restoration studio We are also Fine Art and Antique dealers, besides being collectors ourselves for a great number of years.

The main professional organization of which I am a member is the BNA, or Association of Dutch Architects, which is equivalent to the US; American Institute of Architects. Affiliated to the Art Loss Register in London and the International Cites Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.

Villa Rufolo; The forgotten paradise on earth. Published by the University of Aarhus, Denmark Book reviews and articles for International Archis Magazine, in the Netherlands.

Since I wished to become a Restoration Architect, firstly I took my BA degree in Art History. Then after graduation, I followed this immediately by studies to graduate and become a Restoration Architect. Ever since then, I have been an established Restoration Architect and Antiquarian. Since a great number of buildings are also inhabited by Fine Art fixtures and furnishings, I also became absorbed by all the artifacts, which go to fill them and not only the edifices themselves. This and much more, was the reason for gaining an advisory post on the City Commission; For The Protection and Care of Historic Monuments of Amsterdam - Amstelveen.

Citations and gratitude; “From the Town of Amalfi” for the groundwork achieved in order bring back the Historical past to the Medieval Villa Rufolo and its vital role in the region. BA in Art Hisory. Graduation Diploma as an Architect & Antiquarian; and also practicing as such. I have also completed a 3 year course in antiques, at the VHOK in Amsterdam VHOK is translated as; ( "The Association of Fine Art Dealers In The Netherlands.")

With a view to the present lawmaking on privacy and reasons of confidentiality, this topic will remain private.