Fine Art/signatures

ship wreck in Swapscott MA painting
ship wreck in Swapscot  

nautical painting
nautical painting  
Do you know what these signatures say? and if they are known artists? sig 1 is a painting of a ship wreck in Swampscott Ma about 1915....sig 2 is also nautical.

***My 1000th Answer on AllExperts!***

Hi Nancy,
I wish I had more definitive information to give you, especially on the occasion of my 1,000th answer on the AllExperts service. I do, however, have leads and suggestions to give you.

1. The Swampscott Shipwreck.  Looks like William Curry.  I encourage you to contact The Cobbs Auctioneers in Peterborough, NH. On May 19th last year they auctioned a large sporting painting (Lot #68)of "A Trout Taking the Fly". This oil on canvas measured 20x16 and brought $375, no fortune.) But, it is dated 1919 and signed W Currie. The signature includes the two swish marks down and to the left, very much like those on your shipwreck.  Also, the closeness in dates makes me suspect.  So, a lead for you.

2. Looks like "TC Harding" as a signature block on the second artwork?  I don't know that name and cannot find an artist of this name in my databases. Perhaps a Sunday painter? (i.e., a hobbyist.)

I would encourage you to knock on the doors of (1)The Cobbs in Peterborough, as well as (2) James Julia Auctions in Fairfield, Maine. (3)Ron Bourgeault at Northeast Auctions in Portsmouth, NH is expert in New England marine art.  

So, I hope this give you at least a little to go on.  Thank you for your inquiry.  

Now that I've reached a milestone of sorts, I am going to take a little break from dispensing tips and advice.  I enjoy steering folks in the right direction, helping them to avoid mistakes and perhaps discover a little about their artwork. I am forever learning.  I hope the folks who collect free tidbits here can "pay it forward" by showing a little kindness to others in the day ahead. Give someone else a helping hand, or at the very least, a smile.
Best of luck in all art endeavors!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration