Fine Art/Remington Watercolor

Question
Signature
Signature  

Indian on Horse
Indian on Horse  
I ran across  a watercolor that has been hanging in our bunkhouse on our ranch.  Painting came from my dad's estate and appears to be a Remington done in 1901.  Indian warrior astride a paint horse looking off in the distance.  Horse looking off in the distance also.  Indian wearing a hudson bay blanket type jacket.

Signature is Fredrick Remington with the date 1901 under the ...ton of his last name.

It was only today that I realized there was not a 10/100 notation that you find on reproduced prints.  So maybe an original?  I attached images of the watercolor and the signature if that helps.  Sorry for the reflections on the picture.  I can take it down and do better if you merit it.

Answer
I am a fan of the artist and have some of his prints and old engravings. We need to see the piece outside the frame, but you don't want to damage it. We need to see if there is any small text printed anywhere on the paper or material it's printed or painted on. Also, old paper sometimes bears a hidden watermark. You also want to make sure there is no damage from any of the frame material. I suggest a framer who has taken apart old art and understands you must not damage the piece. If you feel it is an original, please send images and all details including history of where you obtained etc., to my email so I can research. Send to: collectdali@aol.com

Best regards,

Dan

Dan Twyman