Fine Art/Cable Car Painting

Question
Front
Front  

Back
Back  
I found this in a thrift shop in Larkspur, across the bay from San Francisco. There does not appear to be a signature, although on the back of the cable car, beneath the words "Mark Hopkins" (a hotel) there is some illegible scribbling which might be a signature. It was unframed when I bought it, and from mouse droppings and the condition of the stretcher, it probably spent at least a few years in an attic or garage. The style of the car appears to date it after WWII.  Any idea who might have painted it?

Answer
Dear Jeff,

I hope you are doing well. It is a wonderful painting! Such a great representation of mid-century California art. I do not recognize the painting and without a name I cannot research the artist. If you would like to send me high resolution close up photos of the writing I will try to see if I can get you more information. dolly12@aol.com.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley