Fine Art/Cable Car Painting

I found this in a thrift shop in Larkspur, across the bay from San Francisco. There does not appear to be a signature, although on the back of the cable car, beneath the words "Mark Hopkins" (a hotel) there is some illegible scribbling which might be a signature. It was unframed when I bought it, and from mouse droppings and the condition of the stretcher, it probably spent at least a few years in an attic or garage. The style of the car appears to date it after WWII.  Any idea who might have painted it?

Dear Jeff,

I hope you are doing well. It is a wonderful painting! Such a great representation of mid-century California art. I do not recognize the painting and without a name I cannot research the artist. If you would like to send me high resolution close up photos of the writing I will try to see if I can get you more information.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.