Fine Art/Edwin Douglas/Alfred Alais-Evangeline

Question
Evangeline
Evangeline  

Edwin Brown
Edwin Brown  
Hi, I have a picture that I'd like to learn more about. It is titled "Evangeline", painted by Edwin Douglas, engraved by Alfred C. Alais. Does it have any value? It's been in my family as long as anyone can remember and my father left it to me. Thank you.

Answer
Dear Jamie,

The image Alderney and another painting by Edwin Douglas called Sark; have been widely reproduced for over 100 years. A.C. Alais etched the original prints around 1900. Later restrike etchings were published by Thomas Ross Ltd and most were hand colored. I cannot tell you if you have an original from the first or later printings; or if you have a vintage offset lithograph reproduction of the image. One thing to look for is plate marks, indentations near the margins. If there are no plate marks you likely have a reproduction. Offset lithographs will also have a dot type pattern when viewed under high magnification. If you are not sure, take it to a local fine antique/art dealer and have them take a look at it for you.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley