Fine Art/Matisse

I came across what I believe is a lithograph by
Matisse, although it is not signed, it was framed in 1934
and has a number of #3955 and the date 4/9/1934.
The paper is so old and yellowing but the colors are still
vibrant. It looks like one of the ODALISQUE's done around
1926 currently in the Museum of Modern Art in NY. The same
chaise lounge, same color, same girl but with different
clothes and the background is with the same stripes on the
I would like to send you a picture or perhaps you could put
me in the right direction to get some answers.
Appreciate your time,"

Dear Janet,

You mention you found a similar image in MOMA. Many artists will paint an image and then create a separate lithograph that has subtle changes. I did some research, but was unable to find an original lithograph that would fit your description. I do not have Matisse's catalogue raisonne of his prints so I cannot look it up. Most museums and Universities have libraries that have artist catalogues where you can look for the print. It will have the exact size of the original or limited edition print and whether there was an unsigned release. The first step would be determining if you have an original print. Any high end art gallery or museum should be able to tell you the type of print that you have. If you have a jeweler's loupe or similar high magnification you can check to see if the image has a dot pattern. If it does then you have an offset lithograph and the value will be much less than an original plate lithograph. I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.