Fine Art/Picasso lithograph

Picasso COA
Picasso COA  

Picasso litho
Picasso litho  
I am trying to ascertain whether a litho I purchased is genuine. It is reportedly a Picasso from 1946, signed with a crayon-like pencil. It has a COA from "David Smith Authentication Service, in association with MFA, 111Buckingham Palace Rd, London, England." The authentication (and the actual piece) indicate that it is from a numbered edition of 100 (2/100). I did not pay that much but am skeptical. The paper looks old and yellowed at the edges, and the printed portion has a smoother texture than the surrounding paper. Any thoughts? Thanks much.

Dear Ben,

The original painting the work is based off was made in 1938 and is titled “Figure feminine au chapeau, assise sur une chaise” which is not stated on the COA but might be good information for you to have in case you need to reference it at some point. There are two things that trouble me about this. The first is the way the P in the signature is heavier than the rest, like it has been gone over twice for some reason which Picasso did not do in his works. And the second thing is usually in his printed works the edition is written in pencil, not the same ink that the signature has been done is because Picasso did not edition his works himself, the printer did. I also looked at some catalogs I have for his printed works and could not find a reference for this work, but that does not necessarily mean that it is inauthentic. The person to contact for such an answer would be his son Claude Picasso whose email is . I would send him photos as he has the authentication rights to Picasso's works. Hopefully that helps.

Andrew Evans  

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University