Fine Art/Utrillo painting

Question
SDC12712
SDC12712  

SDC12710
SDC12710  
I inherited a picture that was stated, by the owner, to be an original. On the back of the painting is a label which reads:

1058
Rudolf Lesch Fine Arts, Inc.
Eglise de Staens
by
Utrillo
Pochoir Hand-Coloring

The signature is in the lower right corner and the date is partially blocked by the framing. It measures inside the gray frame 21 1/2" X 30".

Can you identify the picture as a print or an original? Is there any value to this picture?

Thank you for your help,

Charlotte

Answer
Dear Charlotte,

Pochoir (also referred to as a stencil) is a printing technique using cut out stencils and hand painting with gouache paint. It is very time intensive and became less popular due to the cost of producing an edition of prints. I personally prefer a well done pochoir to other methods of reproduction due to the intensity of the colors and the fact that each one produced is unique. They are considered original prints as long as the artist was involved in their creation. This can be just the approval of the final print by the artist; much like serigraphs. I found auction results on other pochoir prints by Utrillo, but none that are as large as yours. I do not have his catalog of prints so I cannot look it up. The value of your print will be greatly enhanced if it is part of a limited edition and hand signed by the artist. I suggest you (or have a professional), carefully remove the print from the frame to see if it has any edition numbers and if it is hand signed. If it is, I would send photos and inquiry to one of the larger auction houses to get an auction estimate. Smaller LE signed pochoir (stencils) by Utrillo have sold for over $1000 at auction. I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley