Fine Art/Rubens

I have a Rubens son with red hat framed by Catalda fine arts in NY.The title #7477 frame #SB547....wondering if it might be original and if so what is the value?

Dear Tracie,

The original Peter Paul Rubens, "Son Nicolaas Wearing a Red Felt Cap", is at the Albertina in Vienna so what you have is reproduction. Catalda Fine Arts produced reproductions of famous paintings or paintings by famous artists during the mid-twentieth century. Unfortunately, the work that you have by Catalda is likely a reproduction with only decorative value (no real collectible value). Catalda Fine Arts has a somewhat marred reputation, as they were involved in litigation for many years regarding copyright violations to the images that they produced.

The values can vary on these Catalda works based on factors such as the desirability of the image, the artist, size, condition, and framing.  Even for a reproduction, if it is a nice, well-framed work, a few hundred dollars might be a reasonable price.

I hope that this information can be of some assistance.

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University