Fine Art/who is this painting by

Question
Swiss Alps Plein Air scene
Swiss Alps Plein Air s  

signature on painting
signature on painting  
Hello!

I was hoping that you could help me discover who painted this picture. The signature says "Humbert" or "Humberts" I am not really sure. It is painted in oils and it's on panel. The artist used impasto to really bring out the highlights. It seems like it is a swiss scene but am not sure. Any help on this piece would be greatly appreciated. I am in the philadelphia, PA region, there seemed to be an artist named "Humbert Howard" from the early 20th century around this area, but I am not sure if this is him. The painting looks aged.

David

Answer
Hello David;

Thank you, for both the very clear images image and your question.
Unfortunately, there are a very great many artists, called >> Humbert<<  who could possibly fit the bill; as to  the  correct authorship
However there is one  person, which  may  possibly be  a more likely  candidate.
This  painting  may  have  been done, be by  the French artist called Léonie Humbert-Vignot  when she was  still a young student.

This artist  who came  who   from Lyon over at the  Rhône-Alpes part of the country in the south east of France, had a more academic and traditional start to her career.
Léonie Humbert-Vignot who was born  in Lyon – France, in 1878 and  also died in Lyon back in 1960.
During her life, she had  quite a prolific >>output<<  of many  different kinds of work, but became  best known as a more expressionists artist.
The more traditional scenes and landscapes were part of  her early learning process as a student in Lyon, but in when studying Paris, she changed direction into the more modern expressionist style of painting.
Her works comprise the following  methods and  objects; Water colors, drawings and oil paintings, landscapes and some still life objects - but later ; she painted  and mostly female  models and  portraits.
These types of  landscape imagery which you own, were extremely popular during the later quarter of the 19th century.
Today they are somewhat less popular  than in former times, and are collected mainly by specialists in this genre.
It is most certainly an image of Mont Blanc, which straddles the frontier between Italy and  France and therefore it is most definitely - European in origin.
It is not surprising that  an image  of the this place  was painted,  as Mont Blanc has a   played a  big role in the imagination of  many people, ever since it was first climbed back  in 1786 by  two men - and later by a woman, in 1808.
Over the passing years, Mont Blanc has worked as a magnet for both Napoleon, including  countless tourists and scientists.
Even today, at the foot of the mountain in the  busy village  of Chamonix, there are numerous accounts, and a great many black and white  photographs of  heroic -  smiling  young men.
The figures from these adventurer's from past,are all bedecked with coils of jute rope including an >> ice pick << in one hand, they are wearing tweed jackets, plus fours and cloth caps, hobnailed leather boots; and are eager to set out - for the summit.
However, there are also more sinister tales of howling blizzards, as the freezing clouds suddenly,  all came swirling down -  and the silent witness of the frayed ends of bits of old fashioned  hemp ropes, once belonging to those who fell into the 4000 meter abyss - and got swallowed up by the steel blue glaciers.
So you can perhaps get an inkling as to why anyone might take the trouble to paint this particular  image.
Even today, certain  Swiss chocolate manufacturer still uses this type of  image, to promote its own particular global  brand - of sweet heaven.
There is also a global fountain pen manufacturer, who still uses the name of this French   mountain including a graphic image - to promote a luxury office >> deskset / writing << object.
So perhaps it was the romance, and the idea of all those daring young men, who were  setting out into the unknown; which fired her imagination, as a young girl.
We shall probably never  known for certain, but at least we too - can imagine her,  sitting on a lazy summers day - and sketching the scene.  
There a a few  more steps needed in order to achieve more clarity as to, if it really is a genuine original painting, rather than a colour litho print.
A real time inspection by a reputable  auction house, can make a very good assessment; as to condition and value, etc.
The average prices for those works all depends on; size, artist, quality, provenance, subject matter and condition- which are all highly important -  and also do also vary a great deal.

The local yellow pages and the internet, should point you in the direction of the auction houses in your own  location,
I would strongly advise, in taking it along to at least 2 different auction houses for a valuation. Second opinions, are always very beneficial indeed.

Furthermore; should you desire to take it to auction - then I would also advise on selling it with a fixed bottom end reserve - but perhaps with a 10% auctioneers discretion, is quite reasonable.

Selling without a fixed reserve, is definitely not to recommended.

Very good luck indeed at the auction house.
I quite am sure that they will be able to help you over the last hurdle, so to speak!
Take care.
David.  

D. E. Lombardo