Fine Art/Silver on copper Coffeepot and creamer

maker\'s marks
maker's marks  

I recently purchased a beautiful coffee pot and creamer that has a lion, the letters P, S, and then a crown. I cannot identify the maker. Might you be able to help?

ANSWER: Hello Susan, thank you for the question and the very clear photographs, which are a very great help.
The  answer to your question, is not so straight forward , because in part; it does pose a  riddle from the past.
Firstly, the method of  applying  silver to a layer copper, has been practiced  since the 18th century in England.
The  popularity of certain  designs and shapes, has often been repeated on silverwares,  for hundreds of years.
Very  often, different  designs were  combined from different periods, in order to create new and unusual shapes.
Likewise,  over the course of time  -  there were a great many good silversmiths and manufactures, over in America.
However, because of various changes during the course of time, including the industrial practices and also finding qualified having heirs, in order to carry on  within the mainly family businesses – things do chop and change around; over the course of history.
Your particular  item, is  just such an object in question.
Your  silver plated object  carries a series of hallmarks, which mostly remain a mystery.
However, there is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel which  will probably both help to date them, and  also add a  possible  name of the manufacturer.

The Sheffield Silver Co, of Illinois became in  1935 - the Rockford Silverplate CO.
The Hall marks from this company uses the letters EPC, and it also used  exactly the same crown as is to found  on your  own item.
The Preisner company at Wallingford in Conneticut,  started  up in business in 1935.
Preisner, it  also uses the same gothic letter “P” as on your item.
So this is the most probable  source of the PS + a crown.
The use of the Lion mark, that  is probably a “wink” towards the past and the development of silver plating, back in England – by using the British “Lion Passant” stamp.
It is very possibly that both firm amalgamated temporarily, or at least they might have been in very close co-operation; during the 1935 period.  
Please remember, the stock market crash of 1929 and Roosevelt’s  election of 1933 with the election  cries of  a “new”  fighting spirit.
The 1930’s, was a period of survival - or go bust, for a great  many businesses.
One way out, was to  slim down the existing organisation and to co-operate in manufacturing.
Today, we call it “downsizing” and “outsourcing”.
So - from a rather  simple question, you can  sit down – put your feet  up and pour a nice cup of coffee, while you take a journey through the pages of American history.
Indeed such history, can only add to both the interest and value of your items.
This is my best answer, to you question.
I hope that is of some use to you, and  that it makes your  silverwares, even more shiny and enjoyable.
Take care.

QUESTION: Dear David,
Thanks you so very much for your thoughtful and complete answer. I appreciate your knowledge and generosity. I just learned of Paul Storr. Might there be any connection?

Hello again Susan!
Well you are partly correct when you  mention the fact if your item, might have  something to do with  the English  Gold and silversmith; called Paul Storr - who lived between 1771 - 1844.
He did influence others makers, including  many craftsmen over in the States.
So there are different elements and   traces which  he used, and  which are also to  be found in all later pieces of silverworks.
However, most probably  yours dates to the  1930’s and is therefore  influenced  by such classical makers, as Paul Storr.
Thank you for the question and also the feed back, which is greatly appreciated.
Take care.

D. E. Lombardo

I am unable to answer enquiries concerning objects, which are NOT related to the areas of Fine Art and Antiques. Nor will I; on the sole basis of any photographic images be willing to give any definitive monetary valuations, or monetary opinions. In such cases I would always advise on getting “real time” valuations and opinions from reputable and qualified auction houses, or third parties. In some applicable cases, I may perhaps give general indications of value, based on the presented materials. True valuations always need a direct “hands on” approach, with perhaps also the necessary research and verifications. Broadly open to almost all questions, regarding the majority of both European, American quality objects, which are related to both Antiques and Fine Art. This also includes modern 20th century designer objects such as furniture etc. My own particular comfort zone areas would be; The decorative Arts, marble, stone, furniture, ivory, bone, amber, ceramics and porcelain, sculpture, glass, silver and metal objects etc. I will also answer inquiries, and give opinions concerning Dutch 17th, 18th and 19th century paintings. Please note that I do have limitations and cannot possibly answer all questions, as the field is very extensive. VERY IMPORTANT and PLEASE NOTE: Please note that; providing > GOOD CLEAR and Preferably High Resolution < photo's of the object(s)in question, is vital. Pics taken with a cell/mobile phone, are of a poor quality and best avoided. Posting signatures only, or just fragments of an artifact - will only provide me with insufficient information and it is often quite misleading. So please; Do post good clear overall images, with your question(s). Failing to do so, may cause rejection, which is also a great pity.

Since the early 90’s I lead a team of very enthusiastic staff at a business, where have the following disciplines; Restoration and refurbishment of historical buildings and gardens, including interior design. The restoration and care of Fine Art and Antiques at our restoration studio We are also Fine Art and Antique dealers, besides being collectors ourselves for a great number of years.

The main professional organization of which I am a member is the BNA, or Association of Dutch Architects, which is equivalent to the US; American Institute of Architects. Affiliated to the Art Loss Register in London and the International Cites Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.

Villa Rufolo; The forgotten paradise on earth. Published by the University of Aarhus, Denmark Book reviews and articles for International Archis Magazine, in the Netherlands.

Since I wished to become a Restoration Architect, firstly I took my BA degree in Art History. Then after graduation, I followed this immediately by studies to graduate and become a Restoration Architect. Ever since then, I have been an established Restoration Architect and Antiquarian. Since a great number of buildings are also inhabited by Fine Art fixtures and furnishings, I also became absorbed by all the artifacts, which go to fill them and not only the edifices themselves. This and much more, was the reason for gaining an advisory post on the City Commission; For The Protection and Care of Historic Monuments of Amsterdam - Amstelveen.

Citations and gratitude; “From the Town of Amalfi” for the groundwork achieved in order bring back the Historical past to the Medieval Villa Rufolo and its vital role in the region. BA in Art Hisory. Graduation Diploma as an Architect & Antiquarian; and also practicing as such. I have also completed a 3 year course in antiques, at the VHOK in Amsterdam VHOK is translated as; ( "The Association of Fine Art Dealers In The Netherlands.")

With a view to the present lawmaking on privacy and reasons of confidentiality, this topic will remain private.