Fine Art/Painting

Question
Close up of painting
Close up of painting  

Photo of signature
Photo of signature  
Dear Mr. Cartwright:

Would you to assist me in identifying the artist who painted this oil painting?  I have included a close up photo of the painting and photo of the signature.  The close up photo includes most of the painting but one inch of the painting is not shown on the right hand side of the photo and about two inches of the painting not shown on the top of the photo.  I bought this at an estate sale 15 years ago.    Width:  18 inches.  Height:  11 Inches.  It is signed on the bottom right corner.  It is not dated.    There is nothing on the back of the painting.  

If you are unable to identify the artist would you let me know if you believe it is worth attempting to identity the artist and would you be able to provide suggested avenues for research.  I live close to Seattle, WA.

You assistance is greatly appreciated.

Doug -

Answer
Hi Doug,
I like your picture. It immediately says early 20th century "California" or "Western Art" to me.  I am unable to identify the signature (though I tried diligently,) but I would encourage a little further research on your part. Try AJ Kollar on Aloha St in Seattle for an opinion. Bonham's in SF sees quite a bit of California artists, naturally.  And finally, Heritage Auctions in Dallas might be of more help than I.  I would caution spending too much time (or $) to identify an artist, though. Even should you identify the artist, it is likely not his or her best work and a value would be low.  As is, without signature identification you might have a picture that would resell at a local auction for $500 - $1000 at best?  

Stuart Cartwright