Fine Art/painting identification

Question
I have a painting I would like information on.  It appears to be an oil painting, impressionist style.  It has a house on the right side with a soldier speaking with a woman.  On the left side is a hay wagon with a driver.  The overall hue of the painting is yellow/gold.  The time period seems to be in the 1800s.  There is a signature on the bottom left, J. Petersen.  When I have tried to find information on the artist! I keep running across the name, Jane Peterson, but the names are not spelled alike and the signatures are different.  
  I have had the painting for more than 40 years and it has been in my family longer than that.  I. would greatly appreciate any information you could give me on the painting and the artist.  Thank you, Deb Howell

Answer
Hello Deb!
It must be a beautiful painting if you have kept it so long. Sounds as if a cleaning might be considered.  I do not suspect this is a Jane Peterson painting, as the artist would invariably have signed a full first name, not a mere initial. The famed Jane Peterson spells her last name with an "o", and her signature block is easily identifiable.  So, I agree with you.

The only other prominent J. Petersen (or J. Peterson) artists are Danish artists who limited their endeavors to depicting nautical themes, chiefly ships at sea.

I'd guess you have the work of an unlisted artist or student, perhaps even someone attempting to copy Jane Peterson?  I recommend taking it or a photograph of frontside, backside and signature block to one of the art dealers in Auburn, Huntsville or Tuscaloosa, whichever is closest. If it is not too bulky to transport it may be a good candidate for a cleaning?  Then you might rehang it and enjoy it for the next 40+ years!

Best of luck.  

Stuart Cartwright