Fine Art/trying to identify artist signature

picture of painting
picture of painting  

Hello. I have a painting that was in a bundle that I purchased from an estate sale. It is 12x16, oil on canvas, average condition (?) there re cracks in the paint and a small tear. There are no marks on the back side and it is signed, tho not dated. The signature looks like Bonnard, could I possibly have a Pierre Bonnard painting?

I live in Illinois and welcome your opinion on this matter.  Thank you for your time.

Pretty close! But, I do not think you have a Pierre Bonnard. You have done some good research though. That signature does not look like Bonnard's, (Bonnard never used cursive in his signature -- the characters of his name never connected,) nor does the artwork follow his oeuvre.

Rather, I suspect a hungry art student set up on the banks of the Seine and sketched the famous cathedral, and applied this signature (looks more like "Bennett" to me) in hopes of raising his or her rent money from an enchanted tourist. Or could those flying buttresses be attached to the church at St. Denis in the north of Paris, as only one bell tower reaches to the sky?  Either way, I do not think this is the fine artist Pierre Bonnard.  Not to say you don't have a nice picture of a French cathedral!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration