Fine Art/engraving of Evangeline

QUESTION: I have a framed engraving of Evangeline by Alfred C. Alais.  In the lower left hand corner of the mat is a pencil sketch that is believed to be a self portrait of Edwin Danforth.  The engraving has a drawn heart with the initials E & G intersecting it on the lower left hand corner of the engraving.  There is also a pressed paper seal above the self portrait.

My grandmother left it to me.  1880-1967.  I do not see any plate markings on the sides but was told to "hang on to the engraving".

How can I tell if it's an original or copy?

ANSWER: This is not an artist I have sold or studied, but in most cases the "pressed seal" or Blind Stamp is from the artists publisher and can be researched. I don't see an image here so it is difficult for me to comment. The sketch might be a remarque that is printed and made to look like a drawing, I'd have to examine it to know for sure. Most engravings do have a plate compression border around the image, but I have seen etchings and engravings on flat Rives paper. One of the other experts here talks about this and other pieces from the same artist that are reproductions with low value. So there are original engravings and "afters", sorry I can't be of more help.

full print
full print  

QUESTION: I've attached some photos to help.
Thank you.

The small drawing looks like a remarque, that is typically what is in the border along with hand signature and edition numbers. The only way this is a re-print or after copy is if the original was copied and then they added the stamp with a hand or mechanical press, but in most cases a copy or after does not have a pressed blind stamp like that, so I would think this is a first edition. Just opinions, it's better if I can examine in person. It might make sense to take it to a dealer who sells etchings and engravings and get an opinion while they examine the actual piece.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.