Fine Art/"G Wiegand" Watercolors?

Wiegand Landscape
Wiegand Landscape  

Wiegand signature
Wiegand signature  
I have two watercolors of landscapes from the late 1800s, found in my grandparent's attic, both signed "G Wiegand." Though 1892 would have been early in his career, and he seems to have worked primarily in oil, do you think that these could have been painted by Gustav Wiegand?
Thanks so much

I'm just back from Maine, and a wonderful visit to the Colby Museum of Art in Waterville.  I urge you to visit.  America's finest artists are displayed.  It is amazing.  

As for your pictures, anything is possible.  But I do not think these are done by Gustave Wiegand. I have never seen his signature executed in anything but blocky CAP letters.  It is extremely rare to find a watercolor by this artist, and rare also to find any livestock (sometimes sheep) in his pictures.  Finally, even if this were to be an early watercolor study by Wiegand, it would not bring very much in a sale.

But hang on to it, or gift it to someone who might enjoy it!  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration