Fine Art/SORIA painting

Hello,  I have an oil painting signature Soria. I think maybe Jose?
It has a Merrill Chase label on the back of the frame.  The painting is  of 2 fishing boats(rowboats) on a rocky beach.  Boat in background is blue, other brown. Not sure if the sun or moon is peeking thru the clouds.  On the back of frame is 8x10 TR   on the wood that the canvas is attached are the numbers  WAIBEZ in pen/pencil and also looks like an 8 stamped on the top and bottom of the canvas wood.
 Signature is SORIA lower right hand corner.  Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.  If you send me a phone number I could text you a photo,(not good at sending thru computer).
Thank you very much
Harriet Russo

Dear Harriet,
I did research using the name Jose,(Joseph),Soria and there is a listed artist, but none of his paintings have appeared on the secondary market. I cannot do further research without a photo of the painting and close up of the signature and I do not accept text images. Merrill Chase artists are notoriously difficult to research because they were often local or regional artists carried by the gallery and never went national or international. Even with images it is highly unlikely I will be able to identify your artist. There is a company in Chicago that has Merrill Chase gallery records. They charge $200-300 for information and appraisal on the artists. If you google using Merrill Chase and Chicago you should be able to locate their website. I am sorry I cannot be of more help.
Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.