Fine Art/Winslow Homer Painting

Question
signature
signature  

painting
painting  
I bought a river scene painting that the owner claimed is from Winslow Homer, signed on the right "Winslow Homer". The canvas appears to be 19th century and the signature looks authentic to me but I'm not the expert. Also I purchased from the same seller a portrait that turned out to be famous Scottish Flora MacDonald by the famous painter Allan Ramsay circa 1740's. I would like your opinion on the Winslow Homer painting signature.          Regards,

Answer
Men in Canoe on Paddle
Men in Canoe on Paddle  
Dear Ralph,
The signature is similar to one used by Homer and there are paintings in both watercolor and oil of men in a canoe. I cannot give a more informed opinion without seeing the painting in person. Most of Homer's work was on paper which makes his oils rare. One has to think this painting would have shown up on the secondary market before now as his work similar to this sells in the millions. Sotheby's in New York has handled the majority of his work in the past so they should have the complete catalog of his paintings. I would send the photos to them for an opinion. Take better photos of the painting first. Don't try to capture the frame, just clear photos of the painting and the signature. I have attached a photo of an oil on canoe paddle painted by Homer. I hope this information is helpful.
Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley