Fine Art/Oil Paintings #1

Fruit back
Fruit back  
I inherited 3 oil paintings many years ago, and would like to possibly obtain information regarding who the artist(s) are and the potential value.  I am attaching a photo of the one painting right now that does have some handwriting on the back.  It is very faded but appears to read "Mary C Patten" and then "MC Patten" and also "Oil Collection". There is also a label on the back from "E.B. Courvoisier - Frame Maker - Art Dealer" (with a San Francisco address).  The measurements of the painting frame is 15 1/2" x 13".
 I will attach the other two painting's photos in a different email.

Mary Caverly Patten (1868-1939)is a listed American artist. Originally from coastal Maine, she gravitated to Boston art schools and studied in Paris. At some point she lived in Cuba. She was an assistant curator at the Chicago Museum of Art for a few years.  Ultimately, she moved to Sacramento California in 1912,  and was a teacher for fifteen years. She exhibited at the California State Fair and with the Sacramento Art League. In retirement she returned to her hometown, Bowdoinham, Maine. She is listed in Edan Hughes, "Artists in California, 1786-1940" and her obituary appeared in the Sacramento Bee on Jan 3, 1939.

Though listed, she is not well known, and I would estimate your picture might fetch $200-$300 in a public auction, especially now that you have a listed name associated with it.  It's a fine picture and clearly Patten was a skilled artist.  Your still life needs a little TLC (light cleaning, and to be remounted on the stretchers.) I cannot tell from the picture if there are slight tears.  

This is a nice little treasure that would enhance any kitchen or dining room.  A keeper for sure! Congratulations.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration