Fine Art/who is the artist

Hello Stuart
I have a oil on canvas painting, measures 24x36, good condition-there is some cracking in the paint, no marks on the back side, it is signed R. Wood with no date. I got it at an estate sale. I live in Illinois near Chicago. Trying to find out who artist is and if it is worth getting an appraisal for.  Thank you for your time.

If you tried to send along a picture it did not work. I do not see your artwork.  So I can only tell you there are dozens of listed American artists with the name "R. Wood"  Roberts, Roosevelts, Richards, Ronalds, etc.

My advice would be to contact one of the local auction houses in Chicago, perhaps Leslie Hindman Auctioneers, or Susanins. Do not hesitate to consult them, and ask for an estimate of what your picture is worth. Take a decent digital photograph of the (a) full front side, including frame, (b) the full backside, including frame and (c) a closeup of the signature.  That will be a good starting point for any appraiser.  They can tell you if you should visit with the painting.  A picture that size isn't a picnic to lug through big city streets, but often auction houses will also host free appraisal days in and around the city.  But send them a picture.  It is easiest and will quickly eliminate the hassle of a day shlepping around with your picture if it turns out it isn't worth much.  Best I can offer without knowing what you have.  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration