Fine Art/Identify Artist of Painting

Hemilton Signature
Hemilton Signature  
Hi Stuart.  I'm trying to identify the artist, and/or any other information about a painting I bought at an antique store in NJ.  It is signed in the lower left corner "Hemilton".  I've exhausted the Internet searching for that name with the words painting/mountain scenery/artist; however, I've had negative results.  I've come across paintings that appear similar and even a post by someone who was also attempting to identify an artist by the same name, but attempts to contact these individuals also met with negative results.  The painting is approx. 52.5" x 28.5", the signature is approx. 2", I believe it is oil based on canvas, and while I am no expert, I believe it is in good condition (painting, not the frame).  Thank you, any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.  John

My opinion is that you have a picture manufactured for mass market commercial sale. Perhaps yours is "antique," (that is, from the 1960s or 70s...which qualifies me as pre-historic.)  Today, pieces like this are churned out in Asian shops.  A dead giveaway, is the near-spelling of Hamilton. There simply wasn't some famous artist named "Hemilton".  But the manufacturer tries to lend the picture a lofty-sounding western name.  

If you are interested, look up an artist named "Hamilton Hamilton."  Odd, the two last names together, right?  But he was one of America's earliest fine landscape artists, and loosely identified with the Hudson River School of artists. I can safely say you do not have a Hamilton Hamilton.

At any rate, you have a very large canvas from your antique store, and it should cover quite some space on your walls. Like having a picture window on the Cascades or Rockies! Enjoy your find, and don't waste too much time trolling the internet in the hopes of discovering the artist.  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration