Fine Art/oil painting

oil painting
oil painting  

my father passed away and before he died was trying to figure out who the artist was on this oil painting. the size is 20 x 28 and there is nothing written on the back

My condolences on the loss of your father.
My guess is that he (or someone who gifted the picture to him?) may have traveled to France at some point, and picked this picture up while visiting the City of Light. Street scenes of Paris are perhaps one of the most common landscape scenes and on any given day strolling the banks of the Seine River, one is likely to encounter many artists sketching cityscapes for the tourists.  Looks like the signature says "Giorges 48" perhaps? So, this is not a listed fine artist in all likelihood. Enjoy it and remember your father by it.  Or consign it to a local auction house, where you might earn enough to buy a bottle of champagne!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration