Fine Art/parkhurst

i know abouth the artist wants to know if this painting of any value. could you also explain the spots on the painting what causes it/stains

So this is likely, Violet Parkhurst, as you say you already know. Her paintings have not brought a lot at auction, in the $200 range, chiefly on the West Coast.  Stains are almost always caused by water, which brings mildew to the canvas. If the picture is under glass, you might have some mildew spores growing under there, and you could consider getting it out from under glass. Restoration work on the picture itself can be done, but might set you back a few hundred dollars. Not sure that you'd recoup that in a sale of fixed painting.  But it can be done, if you wish to hang and enjoy the picture.  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration