Fine Art/Picasso COA

Question
I recently won seven Picasso lots from one of Invaluable online auction houses. All the lot descriptions stated original hand signed Picasso lithograph prints. They're signed in various styles in pencil. I have one COA from So Fine Gallery 5th Ave NYC, One from New York Galleria 2nd Ave NYC and 5 from David Smith Authentications Services Manchester England in association with OJAZZ Fine Art. Have you heard of, or come across, any of these certificates of authenticity for Picasso originals?  If so are they real and reliable? Or maybe illegitimate or fake?

Thank you for your time Mr. Evans

Answer
Dear Michael,

A Certificate of Authenticity for a work of art is a document that a gallery gives to the client upon selling the work attesting that they believe everything written down on that sheet of paper to be true. None of those galleries are still in existence but in doing research, Gagosian Gallery, represents or acquired the David Smith Authentication Services so you might be able to contact them regarding those COA's.

As for the others that does not make them illegitimate or fake. If you are concerned as to if they are authentic then you need to contact Claude Picasso or DWP Editions as they are authenticators for Picasso's work and they will be able to tell you. Please find their information below and best of luck. Andrew Evans

Claude Picasso
8, rue de Volney
75002 Paris
FRANCE
T: +33 (0)1 47 03 69 70
E: info@picasso.fr

DWP Editions
23, Place Vend˘me
75001 Paris
FRANCE
Tel +33 (0) 1 44 86 05 05
info@dwpicsso.com  

Andrew Evans