Fine Art/Chinatown street scape

Question
untitled
untitled  
Can you help identify or attribute this artist and painting.  It is post impressionism, It is similar to a few works I've seen by George Chann.  It is signed G. Chann in the lower right in cursive instead of print.  There is also and indistinct mark in the lower center that maybe GC in a box.  It appears that it was framed by the artist.  It is possible that his daughter signed it to sell in his shop.  He worked in the back of his shop in Chinatown, Los Angles for 40 years (long hours and everyday painting).  He was known to be a hermit.  I purchased this painting in an antique/secondhand store.  It fascinated me.  The painting appears to be middle 20th century.  There is no title.

Answer
Carol,
You know more about George Chann, than I, so you are aware that his straight-on oil portraits vastly outnumber the street scenes he depicted. He is also known for his Pollock-like abstract pictures. A few street scenes, typically depicting life in Chinatown, have come to auction in recent years. Bonhams in SF has sold one or two, (each in the $7,000 neighborhood,) but the hot price action seems to have been in Hong Kong. If I owned an original by this artist I would seek expertise directly from Christies or Sotheby's Hong Kong offices.  Easy to do via Internet in this day and age. It is hard to tell from the thumbnail picture that comes across this free service, but I am initially skeptical that the style of your picture matches what George Chann produced.  Experts at the auction houses can help you make this determination. As I say, go directly to the Hong Kong offices with good digital pictures, including closeups of the signature block.  

Stuart Cartwright