Fine Art/Original Oil Painting of an American Hero

Question
Major General Richard Montgomery
Major General Richard  
I have an original oil painting of Major General Richard Montgomery - an officer in the Revolutionary War who some say is the first true American hero!  It is recorded that George Washington wrote that America suffered a great loss when he was killed in battle. He is buried at St. Paul's Chapel in New York and his monument there is the first Revolutionary War monument created by this country.  I would like to see this painting be displayed (maybe in a museum?)as a tribute to Major General Montgomery but don't know who to contact.  What is the value of such a historical painting?

Answer
Hello Karen,
My first thought is for you to contact Wes Cowan of Cowan's Auctions in Ohio. He is frequently an expert on the PBS Television series "Antique Roadshow" so you may already know the name. You will find his email contact info at his website under American History Department.  Send him the portrait picture.

Value will depend upon many factors: originality, portraitist, condition, size, etc. I wouldn't expect a king's ransom, but it is certainly worth asking more than one auctioneer what values might be attained. Have you contacted St. Paul's? There are undoubtedly a number of military schools in the country that might value owning this artwork, and an educational donation would be a worthy pursuit.  

Another thought is that a historic revolutionary war site, such as Fort Ticconderoga, might treasure such an artwork.  Check with Christopher D. Fox, curator at Fort Ticonderoga if he'd be interested in it for that site's growing and important art collection.  

Stuart Cartwright