Fine Art/Painting identification

Full Pic
Full Pic  

Hi David,
Not sure if you remember my name, by I contacted you a couple weeks ago asking you to help me identify what I thought was a Dutch or French painting...
Well I ended up buying the painting and after doing some more research, I found that the painting was called The public Scribe (L' Ecrivain Public), "As you mentioned" by a French painter, who's name is Pierre-Alexandre Wille 1748 - 1837. shows a similar piece, "a different lady" but done on ink, which is on display at the "Bibliotheque des Arts Decoratifs Paris".
I also found that the Philadelphia Museum of Art has an "After Pierre-Alexandre Wille" etching, printed by Carl Gottfried Guttenberg, German 1743 - 1790.
But I have not found anything about the painting... and I wonder what the relationship with the painting has the German writing on the back of it.

Thanks again, any comments would be appreciated...

Hello  again Hernan;
Basically, the label on the back of your painting indicated that it has been through the hands of a German  “art dealer.”
It is in fact the  art “ dealers sales” catalogue,inventory number, along with the  description, and titles of the painting.
There also some very  faint pencil marks on the label, which  ordinary imagery camera’s are unable to  reveal.
In order to discover the fuller  extent  of any other hidden information, a  >>real time<<  series of forensic tests  would be  required.
Pure “naked eye” visual information can in such cases, only  provide you with a limited amount of information.
Very good luck with the  “hunt”  however you are going in the right direction and I wish you all the luck with the future quest!
Take care.

D. E. Lombardo

I am unable to answer enquiries concerning objects, which are NOT related to the areas of Fine Art and Antiques. Nor will I; on the sole basis of any photographic images be willing to give any definitive monetary valuations, or monetary opinions. In such cases I would always advise on getting “real time” valuations and opinions from reputable and qualified auction houses, or third parties. In some applicable cases, I may perhaps give general indications of value, based on the presented materials. True valuations always need a direct “hands on” approach, with perhaps also the necessary research and verifications. Broadly open to almost all questions, regarding the majority of both European, American quality objects, which are related to both Antiques and Fine Art. This also includes modern 20th century designer objects such as furniture etc. My own particular comfort zone areas would be; The decorative Arts, marble, stone, furniture, ivory, bone, amber, ceramics and porcelain, sculpture, glass, silver and metal objects etc. I will also answer inquiries, and give opinions concerning Dutch 17th, 18th and 19th century paintings. Please note that I do have limitations and cannot possibly answer all questions, as the field is very extensive. VERY IMPORTANT and PLEASE NOTE: Please note that; providing > GOOD CLEAR and Preferably High Resolution < photo's of the object(s)in question, is vital. Pics taken with a cell/mobile phone, are of a poor quality and best avoided. Posting signatures only, or just fragments of an artifact - will only provide me with insufficient information and it is often quite misleading. So please; Do post good clear overall images, with your question(s). Failing to do so, may cause rejection, which is also a great pity.

Since the early 90’s I lead a team of very enthusiastic staff at a business, where have the following disciplines; Restoration and refurbishment of historical buildings and gardens, including interior design. The restoration and care of Fine Art and Antiques at our restoration studio We are also Fine Art and Antique dealers, besides being collectors ourselves for a great number of years.

The main professional organization of which I am a member is the BNA, or Association of Dutch Architects, which is equivalent to the US; American Institute of Architects. Affiliated to the Art Loss Register in London and the International Cites Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.

Villa Rufolo; The forgotten paradise on earth. Published by the University of Aarhus, Denmark Book reviews and articles for International Archis Magazine, in the Netherlands.

Since I wished to become a Restoration Architect, firstly I took my BA degree in Art History. Then after graduation, I followed this immediately by studies to graduate and become a Restoration Architect. Ever since then, I have been an established Restoration Architect and Antiquarian. Since a great number of buildings are also inhabited by Fine Art fixtures and furnishings, I also became absorbed by all the artifacts, which go to fill them and not only the edifices themselves. This and much more, was the reason for gaining an advisory post on the City Commission; For The Protection and Care of Historic Monuments of Amsterdam - Amstelveen.

Citations and gratitude; “From the Town of Amalfi” for the groundwork achieved in order bring back the Historical past to the Medieval Villa Rufolo and its vital role in the region. BA in Art Hisory. Graduation Diploma as an Architect & Antiquarian; and also practicing as such. I have also completed a 3 year course in antiques, at the VHOK in Amsterdam VHOK is translated as; ( "The Association of Fine Art Dealers In The Netherlands.")

With a view to the present lawmaking on privacy and reasons of confidentiality, this topic will remain private.