Fine Art/Arie Smit

Arie Smit Painting
Arie Smit Painting  

Arie Smit Signature
Arie Smit Signature  
Hi, I recently bought a painting by Arie Smit on an online auction.  It appears to be a watercolor on paper, attached to cardboard.  On the back of the frame it says Turner Art Gallery Paintings, Etching, Fine prints, Framing, the number 91830 and the date 7/16/75 written in pencil.  On the bottom right hand corner of the painting it is signed Arie Smit Bali and '7 or '71. Can you tell me if this is a genuine Arie Smith painting and how I can find out what it's value is?  Thank you!

I'm not familiar with that artist, but this has the earmarks of a reproduction. You mentioned etchings, but I don't see an indentation in the paper as if this was pressed on an old style printing press, if you can see an indentation around the border of the image pressed into the paper, then it is an engraving, but if not, it could be a lithograph with color. In quite alot of low end art, paper is glued to a backing and mass produced, but without being able to see this in person, it is difficult for me to say? I am more a Salvador Dali expert so this is outside my area, but wanted to see if I could offer you some info at least. :) If you feel you have a hand painted work, I suggest taking it do an established art dealer in person so they can examine and give you an opinion.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.