Fine Art/Degas Sketch - Ballerina Leaning Forward

Degas Sketch
Degas Sketch  

Back of Degas Sketch
Back of Degas Sketch  
I understand from internet research that at some point in their history, Catalda was infamous for reproductions.  Is there any way to "date" this drawing and therefore guesstimate whether or not it is an original, or at least an authorized print of the original drawing?

Dear Sam,

In regards to "dating" the Degas you have several options.

The first and best option is to take the work to an auction house and get their opinion as they have a bevy of experts and seeing the work in person enables the expert to check out the paper, texture, line work, and several other details of the work that will give you the most accurate answer. Most auction houses have free evaluation days so you will not even have to pay for the service.

The second option is to contact the Colonial Art Gallery & CO which acquired all of Catalda's assets in 1983. Thus they should have records if you want to contact them and see what they might be able to provide you with in regards to the work.

Lastly you can contact one of the Degas experts, Théodore Reff at and get his opinion, although I do not know how his process works.

I hope that this information can be of some assistance and best of luck.

Andrew Evans  

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University