Fine Art/Kurt Winkler

Question
Internment Camp
Internment Camp  
I was fascinated by your knowledge about Kurt Winkler. I discovered only today (at the meeting of the Dunera Historical Association) that a work in my late father's Estate is a Kurt Winkler.
It is painted at an Internee Camp in Hay Australia in 1941. It is signed "Kurwin". Is it of any interest?

Answer
Hello Andrew, and many thanks for your question, regarding the German artist called Kurt Winkler.
The  good clear image you supplied, is also very helpfull.

He was in fact a very good artist and also quite a colorful person and  he often used the pseudonym  “kuwin.”

During the war he arrived in Australia,  along with some other 2.500  people from Europe as  as a German war detainee, on the Dunera.
During his stay  down under,  he often made sketches and drawings to kill the time and also; it was his own way of  staying sane - under some difficult conditions indeed.
Originally, he  had shipped out from England  in 1940 and travelled on the Arandora Star , however  speaking about >> pulling on the shortest straw<< because he got torpedoed by a German  submarine near to Iceland  - and was rescued  by the Dunera, but then made a safe trip to Australia.

After his arrival, his time was spent as a detainee in two camps;   

1942-.1945 Internment Camp, Tatura, in New South Wales
1941-.1942 Internment Camp, Hay, in  New South Wales

Quite appart from being  represented in various Australian Museums and galleries, he was also a bit of a >> man about town <<  who worked for the Vogue fashion magazine back in the 1930’s and  he also sketched  famous people such as; Marlene  Dietrich, Anna Palova, King Farouk and of course Princess Elisabeth ( now Queen Elisabeth) and her sister – Margaret, and also Lisa Minelli.

However this, is no obsure  amateur artist  that we are speaking of here.
So yes - his works are collected and are of both financial and of great  cultural/historical significance.
I mean, Rolf Harris may have done a portrait of the Queen, but “kuwin” has done a great deal more in his long  lifetime.

The sketch, is looking its age - and rather distressed, as  it is badly in need of some expert treatment.
It would be advisable to take it to a professional   print and paper restorer, and get it treated.

I am sure there are a great many in Australia who would fully  understand -  and appreciate   this rather “ innocent “  looking sketch.
I say innocent, because,  the history and the person behind it, they span the generations -from the deadly beaches of Gallipoli during the First World War, and  to a  dusty internment camp - in the outback of Australia.

You are holding a silent witness,  to  a part of human history that went so dreadfully wrong, but the  survivors, they mostly managed to  pick up the broken pieces and move on.
That bit of paper,  has indeed some very sobering thoughts!

Find a museum,  close to where you are living and get some advice on the restoration and also some more information, concerning the sketch.
Such  objects are called “Militaria and  are often worth a lot of money, although for me personally  - it is the story, which far outweighs the financial aspects.

Very good luck with your piece, of  Australian history and many thanks for sharing  a very  special bit of  history with us here
Take care.
David.!  

D. E. Lombardo