Fine Art/Merrill Chase Original Portrait from Photo

Chase Pictures
Chase Pictures  
I bought a daguerreotype photo, in a broken frame, at an estate sale. I also bought what appears to be a small hand painted picture of the same woman in the photograph.  It is signed Merrill Chase (known for his galleries in Chicago area).  From his obituary, I know Mr. Chase painted portraits from photos prior to opening his gallery.  I was wondering if this original piece, along with the vintage photograph, are of any value.

Dear Paulette,

This is the first portrait (or painting of anything) that I have seen signed by Merrill Chase. I looked up auction records and could not find another example. Extraordinary that you have the original photograph as well. Overall the painting is good, except for the hands, but then not many artists can draw/paint hands. They are difficult for the most talented of artists.
This is a unique item so it is difficult to place a value. I suppose it would be what the buyer is willing to pay. I did some research and found that his grandson is still in the art business. I am going to give you a link to the contact information at his two locations. I would email the images and ask if the family is aware of other examples of his work and an approximate value. Who knows...they may be interested in acquiring the pair. Best of luck on your adventure.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.