Fine Art/Velazquez more pictures

Question
Back
Back  

Detail
Detail  
Velazquez more pictures

Answer
Hello  Hernan;
Many thanks for all of the very  good quality images, as these are  Always of great value in such matters.

However, as with a great  many things in life, there are the good  bits, and the bad bits.

Firstly - the bad news.

It is not a real work which has been done  by  the "hand" of  Velasquez himself, nor is it particularly old.
Even without the usual formalities and  "forensics" in order to establish  authorship, this  painting is executed many centuries after, Velasquez - himself -  had died.

Secondly - somewhat brighter news.

Although it is  not by Velasques himself, nor is it  executed  in his lifetime - it does have a certain monetary value.

This  particular painting is a >>look alike<< or is quite often referred to  as;

- The school of.....

- Attributed to.......or in the manner of......

If the painting was in fact genuine, then the frame is obviously of a much later date and was made towards the end of the 19th century, therefore these  >> 2 << objects  do not match, or correspond with each other.

As a decorative piece, executed in the manner of Velasquez...rather than by him....then yes, it is perhaps worth around 450-550 USD  to hang on the wall, of a "classy" type of  restaurant.

I would much preferred to be the bringer of  better tidings, however  I hope that this information is a kind of band aid.

Obviously, finding  a real work  is like winning the Florida Lottery, but  realistically speaking, the chances  for us..... mortals... to do so, is very small indeed!

Very good luck with the painting and keep on looking!

Take care, and have a good week ahead.
David.  

D. E. Lombardo