Fine Art/Martinet Print 856

Question
Martinet 856
Martinet 856  

Martinet 856
Martinet 856  
I have an old print "Le Coulon-chaud" numbered in left corner 856 and signed on the left bottom corner "Martinet".  It was purchased in an antique shop in Connecticut many years ago.  The print looks old and someone had written in pencil on the lower left "By Martinet" and the lower right "Old print".  On the reverse it is stamped on the upper right "Made in France" and lower right the initials "SZL" in a triangle.  Can you tell me anything about this print?

I'm attaching a copy of this print for your information.

Thank you in advance.

Karen

Answer
Dear Karen,

Your print is a photogravure reproduction circa mid 20th century after an original engraving by French artist François-Nicolas Martinet (c. 1760 - 1800).

It was published by Sidney Z. Lucas, a printer and owner of a print shop in New York between 1940 and 1960. He produced many prints after old engravings. Value varies on these as condition is a primary factor. You can do searches on ebay for Martinet in the art category to see other examples.

Martinet engraved the plates for numerous works on natural history, especially ornithology. One of his most famous efforts are l'Ornithologia, sive Synopsis methodica of Mathurin Jacques Brisson (1760-63).

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley