Fine Art/Morisot 7923

Question
Doing through a box of picture frames I've collected through the years I found one that has a sticker on the back that says "Catalda Fine Arts, Inc. title 7923 on the terrace, artist Morisot, frame no. SA 829" and in pencil 546319. Just wanting more information on this item.

Thank you, Abby

Answer
Dear Abby,

There are many artist's with the last name of Morisot; with Berthe Morisot (1841-1895), being the most famous. You did not attach a photo so I cannot tell you if it is a print by Berthe or another Morisot, but try doing a Google image search of her name and see if the style is similar to your print. Secondly, I have seen many prints framed and sold by Catalda and some are offset lithographs, but I have also seen original etchings and lithographs. Overall they seemed to have sold higher quality work than most at the time. Berthe Morisot created original drypoint etchings and these originals would be black and white and appear somewhat as drawings. If your print is in color, it will not be a Berthe original as she did not produce color engravings or lithographs. It would likely be an offset lithograph or photo gravure after one of her paintings. I hope this information is helpful.
Best regards,
Dolly

Morisot, Berthe (b. Jan. 14, 1841, Bourges, Fr.--d. March 2, 1895, Paris)
French painter and printmaker. The first woman to join the circle of the French impressionist painters, she exhibited in all but one of their shows, and, despite the protests of friends and family, continued to participate in their struggle for recognition.
Born into a family of wealth and culture, Morisot received the conventional lessons in drawing and painting. She went firmly against convention, however, in choosing to take these pursuits seriously and make them her life's work. Having studied for a time under Camille Corot, she later began her long friendship with Edouard Manet, who became her brother-in-law in 1874 and was the most important single influence on the development of her style. Unlike most of the other impressionists, who were then intensely engaged in optical experiments with color, Morisot and Manet agreed on a more conservative approach, confining their use of color to a naturalistic framework. Morisot, however, did encourage Manet to adopt the impressionists' high-keyed palette and to abandon the use of black. Her own carefully composed, brightly hued canvases are often studies of women, either out-of-doors or in domestic settings. Morisot and American artist Mary Cassatt are generally considered the most important women painters of the later 19th century. Above bio is by www.ibiblio.org where you can also view images of her paintings.  

Dolly D Headley