Fine Art/Pablo Picasso ceramics

Picasso ceramic plate
Picasso ceramic plate  
I own a couple Pablo Picasso ceramics from his Madoura collection. One in particular is my favorite. It is an oval plate shape with a playful face on the front, and the stamp on the back. I want to display it in a way that is more three dimensional than framing it. My question to you is how do I prop it up so I can have it on my table and facing the viewer with the stamp visible without picking it up? And also, do we know who the face is of? I would love to be able to tell my guests.

Picasso ceramic plate, Picador
Picasso ceramic plate,  
Hi Art,

I agree that this is a very playful piece you have. It is titled "Face in an Oval". I believe it is stamped with 'MADOURA PLEIN FEU' on the reverse. Many people, including galleries, use an easel to elevate the plate from the surface and angle it toward the viewer. This will also allow for the Madoura stamp to be seen. Or you can frame it and cut a section of the back of the frame off to expose the stamp, although you will then need to hang it somewhere that is not against a wall. These Picasso ceramics show the variations of stamps that Madoura works have. Some of the other shapes, like his owls, stand free on their own and are very recognizably Picasso as well.

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University