Fine Art/Vasarely Sempe (1986) Serigraph

Question
Sempe Signature detail
Sempe Signature detail  

Sempe AP detail
Sempe AP detail  
I'm trying to confirm whether a Vasarely serigraph, Sembe (1986), which I purchased from Park West Galleries, is authentic.  The penciled signature appears similar to other Vasarely signatures I've seen, but what gives me pause is the marking in the left-hand corner of the print:  AP . 23/30, which presumably stands for artist's proof.  The Vasarely artist's proof marks I've seen on other serigraphs are typically EA, not AP, so this anomaly raises questions, particularly given Vasarely's Hungarian/French roots, which would lead one to assume a preference for using the EA mark, not the English AP.  Attached are two pictures showing both the artist's signature and the AP mark.  I have not examined the print outside of its frame.  Are you aware of any catalogues or reference works showing how this print would have be marked by the artist?  Are there any other indicators of authenticity I should be looking for?  Lastly, are Vasarely prints as prone to forgeries as Dali's have been in the past?  Many thanks in advance for your thoughts on this inquiry.

Answer
Dear Ron,

As Vasarely was not and is not a universally in-demand or known artist and his works on paper are not highly valued in the art market, forgeries of his works on paper are rare. In addition as there is no catalogue raisonné of his works, distinguishing edition size can be difficult but the difference in the EA and AP rests on the printer, not the artist, so there is no reason to fear as to the authenticity in that regards.

Several of Vasarely's paper works are AP such as Tsiga I, Untitled (1970), and Quasar III (1966), in addition to his sculptures so it is not outside of normal. The signature does appear authenticate and that is the main reference for the print. In addition, Park West Galleries has sold multiple Vasarely series that have been resold on the market by auction houses, so it certainly doesn't compare to the riskiness of Dali. Hopefully that helps.  Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans