Fine Art/Paintings

Question
I purchased (approx. 30 years ago) two paintings from an estate auction supposedly the estate of Robert Rue.
Unable to find info on the paintings.
One has a label on the back as follows:
Catlda Fine Arts
8227
Title: Thatched Cottage
Artist: Van Gogh
Frame No. Ma 173
Order # 2909
The other is a John Hulse. Looks like a silhouette of a statue.
Can not find a directory of John Hulse paintings.

Answer
Dear Jean,

I am unfamiliar with the artist John Hulse, but I was able to find some auction results for someone by his name here: http://www.artnet.com/artists/john-hulse/past-auction-results. If the style is similar to what you have, you can continue on to do more research at the respective auction houses they were sold at. In regards to your works, if they are both from Catalda Fine Arts that means they are reproductions and are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Catalda Fine Arts produced reproductions of famous paintings or paintings by famous artists during the mid-twentieth century and were acquired by Colonial Art Gallery & CO in 1983. So if you are interested in knowing more about the works, they should have records and might be able to provide you with anything else you may seek. Andrew Evans  

Andrew Evans