Fine Art/reproduction catalda fine arts, 5321 out of tahiti

Question
I am seeking information on a paul gauguin canvas board painting purchased from Catalda fine arts ( out of tahiti) 5321. the magician of hivaoa is information i found as another name for the painting. any information would be appreciated. the size is appro. 25x32 thank you , jim

Answer
Dear Jim,

I'm not sure what I can provide you with. Catalda Fine Arts produced reproductions of famous paintings or paintings by famous artists during the mid-twentieth century. The Gauguin has only decorative value (no real collectible value) which depends on how much someone is willing to pay for it. The 5321 refers to the Catalda inventory number. You can try contacting the Colonial Art Gallery & CO which acquired all of Catalda's assets in 1983 if you are interested in knowing more about the history of the work, as they should have records and might be able to provide you with anything else you may seek. In regards to the title of the work, this is what Gauguin's "Magician of Hivaoa" looks like: http://www.paul-gauguin.net/The-Magician-Of-Hivaoa.html. Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans