Fine Art/Antique reproduction from Catalda

Question
8328 Junction
8328 Junction  
My father purchased this from Catalda, likely in the early thirties. I would like to know more about it, but can remember it hung in our New York apartment.  The title is 8328 Junction, Artist: Turner, Frame #SA316. Any information you can give me would be appreciated.  Thank you, Jan Tucker

Answer
Dear Jan,

Your work is a reproduction of "The Junction of the Thames and the Medway" (1807) by the artist Joseph Mallord William Turner. The original currently resides at the National Gallery of Art in Washington DC: http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/Collection/art-object-page.1226.html

Catalda Fine Arts produced reproductions of famous paintings or paintings by famous artists during the mid-twentieth century. Unfortunately, the work that you have by Catalda is a reproduction with only decorative value (no real collectible value). Catalda Fine Arts has a somewhat marred reputation, as they were involved in litigation for many years regarding copyright violations to the images that they produced.

Catalda Fine Arts was acquired by Colonial Art Gallery & CO in 1983, so if you are interested in knowing more about this particular Catalda piece, they might have records and may be able to provide you with more information. Best of luck. Andrew Evans  

Andrew Evans