Fine Art/Durer engraving

Question
Hi, I have an etching by Dürer with watermark bas richard, I have identified two engravings made online with the same plate dating from 1500 and 1800, could indicate the age if I send good pictures ?, thanks and greetings

Answer
Dear Maximiliano,

Although watermarks are a great indication in determining the age of Old Master etchings and woodcuts, it is also necessary to know the state of the work which depends on minute details found in the work itself. Your Durer etching it sounds like exists in multiple states which is why you want to know the date of the watermark. To know the watermark and state, you need one of Durer's catalog's, preferably the catalog by Joseph Meder "Dürer-Katalog" that was last published in 1932 from Verlag Gilhoffer & Ranschburg. I unfortunately do not have this at my disposal so can therefore not assist you. However, this article from Masterworks Fine Art is a great resource for watermarks that might provide some insight for you and I know they feature Durer woodcuts and etchings in the gallery so they might be able to even assist you: http://www.masterworksfineart.com/education/fine-art-collecting/watermarks/ . Or you might be able to check the catalog out from a local library and look it up yourself. Hopefully that helps. Andrew Evans  

Andrew Evans