Fine Art/Authenticating Salvador Dali Print

King Solomon Dali Print
King Solomon Dali Prin  

Dear Dolly,

My name is David. To give a little back-story on this print, I found this at a second hand store in a very Wealthy area outside of Philadelphia.

When I saw this print I purchased it for a few dollars, I didn't even notice it was signed let alone in pencil. It seems to be on older sturdy paper with the painting being an impression. it is one piece of paper but the paper is pressed in like an etching.

After a little researched I found out the image was a Dali print. I think it's called King Solomon. My question to you is can you determine from the photographs if this is a real signature? It is numbered 338/400.

I can tell for certain based on the way the pencil shines in light that it is a pencil signature. Hopefully, I can say this is a real Dali and tell this story for years!

Happy Holidays,

Dear David,

Your print appears to be a drypoint engraving with pochoir color from a portfolio of 11 different engravings called "Our Historical Heritage" by Salvador Dali. This one is called King Solomon. I cannot authenticate your print, but I can give you an opinion and information that will help you qualify it. The signature looks like Dali's and the fact that it was pulled from an engraved plate further qualifies it. It was released in several different edition sizes and types of paper. There was an edition of 400 printed on Arches, which is a heavier paper. The color was applied using the pocoir method which highly resembles original paint. If the size of the image area of your print is 22 1/4 x 15 5/8 inches, it would have the elements of being an original. Dali prints have been counterfeited more than any other artist so collectors are wary of buying from anyone other than a qualified seller and with a solid COA. Being an engraving makes it less likely this is a counterfeit copy and there were no later restrikes made of this particular image. There are prints from this portfolio online so with a search you can get an idea of current market value.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.