Fine Art/Fredrick Ogdon

I have a Fredrick Ogdon painting but it's not on cardboard .
It is on a thin sheet of paper and the frame looks really old.
How can you tell if this is a print or an original?

Dear William,
I looked up the work of Frederick Ogden and his medium is oil on canvas. I was not able to find any watercolors by the artist which would be an original medium on paper. Things to look for: 1) Any writing at the bottom of the image that may denote a printer/publisher 2) If you have access to a jewelers loupe, look at the image at the margins or in an area where the color transitions from dark to light. If you see a repetitive pattern, it is a reproduction.
If you are still unsure you should take it to a local expert, at an art/antique store or museum.
I hope this is helpful. I did see some of his work reproduced on paper, so my first inclination is that you have a reproduction offset lithograph.
Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.