Fine Art/print by Durer

I have a print with a label on the back that says Catalda fine arts, inc. Title,Two Squirrels. Artist,Durer. Frame No.SA346. Order No.4131. It also has the number 8364 at the top of the label. It also has a mark on the front that looks like a square A with a D in the middle and 4 letters above the A. Can you tell me anything about this print?

Dear Anne,

Catalda Fine Arts produced reproductions of famous paintings or paintings by famous artists during the mid-twentieth century. Unfortunately, the work that you have by Catalda is a reproduction with only decorative value (no real collectible value). The 8364 could be Catalda's inventory number for the particular print for which they kept records of their inventory. In regards to knowing about the history of your particular print you might be able to contact the Colonial Art Gallery & CO which acquired all of Catalda's assets in 1983. They should have records if you want to contact them and see what they might be able to provide you with in regards to the work.

In regards to the work itself, the print is by Albrecht Dürer and the "letters" above Albrecht Dürer's initials 'AD' are actually the date he originally created the work which is 1512 with the original title being "Two Squirrels, One Eating A Hazelnut". I hope that this information can be of some assistance. Andrew Evans  

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University