Fine Art/RE:Carnival Glass

Question
Pitcher
Pitcher  

tumbler
tumbler  
I recently purchased this purple/amethyst carnival glass at an antique shop. I got a pitcher and six tumblers. I was trying to see what the value of the set was, however, I can't find a reference to it anywhere. At first I thought It was inverted thistle by Cambridge, but now I believe it to be made by Mosser. I'm stumped because Mosser only made the inverted thistle pattern in purple (not iridized like mine), green, clear, red, and I can't seem to find it anywhere so I was thinking that it might be one of a kind. Any insight into this would be much appreciated. Thank you so much for your help.
Chris

Answer
Hello Chris, and thank you for your very interesting question.
Regarding the  >>Thistle Emblem<<, today  it is not confined to any particular product, or country.
In fact, there are numerous manufactures of glass products worldwide, also who use a >> Thistle<< symbol.

With regard to the Cambridge Carnival glass, as indeed with much of the  American products that are  most commonly referred to -  as belonging to the category  called “Pressed, or “Depression Glass”.

Original Ohio Carnival  Glass, it  dates way back to the mid 19th century, and  was  widely  produced, and  being a relatively  inexpensive   decorative item.
Carnival glass reached  its peak back in the 1920’s and many other manufacturers such as  Aurora, Heisey, Jeanette,  and  much later – Moser,they often  closely copied/imitated each
other’s styles.

Of course, although  Moser  is a relatively new business, it has acquired some older moulds belonging to  previous makers and has also started  its own production of these designs.
On the whole, this type of >> glass<<  has a relatively high sodium content, which tends to lower the working temperature of the material.

Indeed this category of glass is still used  quite extensively in the majority of more  modern   reproduction glassware’s  and also the many kinds of patterned and also some kinds  kinds of   >>art<< glass use this material.

Iridescent glass can be produced both by accident and  also deliberately -  by both;  time, temperature, metallic oxides in combination with  a reduction in the oxygen levels of the  molten material inside the  glass kiln.

I have a small Roman  perfume bottle, which is  about 2.300 years old – and  due to being in contact with the damp  soil  and the decomposition of various organic materialfor many centuries - and the action of hydrogen sulphides, it has now  become iridescent.
It was at the time of its production in Anatolia, it was however  - made of a clear glass.

Loetz, Moser and many others during the 19th century, have all  deliberately made – Iridescent glass as a means of utilising to a maximum both, candle,  oil and  gas lighting on the household materials.
Like the majority of Greek Iconostasis items, iridescent glass it has been made somewhat more bland and redundant; by the advent of modern electric lighting.  

There are  however   two main possibilities, concerning you own item;
1. It is a fake,  which is probably  made in the  Far East
2.  It is either a much earlier experiment, or perhaps a production mistake –  or it is made  by a modern  producer, but using an old production mould.

There are a few  more steps needed in order to achieve more clarity as to, if they are really a genuine original object, rather than a  fake reproduction from the Far East
A real time inspection by a reputable auction house, can make a very good assessment; as to condition and value, etc.

The average prices for those works all depends on; size,  quality, provenance, subject matter and condition- which are all highly important -  and also do also vary a great deal.
Howerver, this type of glass is at present fetching some average figures, of around $120-200,00.

The internet, should point you in the direction of the auction houses in your own location,
I would strongly advise, in taking it along to at least 2 different auction houses for a valuation.
Second opinions, are always very beneficial indeed.

Furthermore; should you desire to take it to auction - then I would also advise on selling it with a fixed bottom end reserve - but perhaps with a 10% auctioneers discretion, which is quite reasonable.

Selling without a fixed reserve, is definitely not to recommended.

Very good luck indeed, at the auction house.
I  am quite  sure that they will be able to help you over the few  last steps before take off, so to speak!
Take care.
David.  

D. E. Lombardo