Fine Art/Laura Wheeler Waring?

Hi- I purchased a painting a few years back at an auction in upstate NY and was wondering if you thought it could be by Laura Wheeler Waring. It seems to be her subject matter, but not quite as refined as most of her work. It is signed "Wheeler" on the verse and the signature looks almost identical to her pre-marriage "Wheeler" signature. It is large 30"x23.5", oil on canvas. Also, I know there are reproductions out there, but do they actually sign the painting in the same way she would? I'm a novice so any help would be appreciated. As a side note no one at this auction wanted it, the auctioneer jokingly called her the handsome lady, so I got her pretty cheap.

Hello Scott,
I apologize for the delay. I actually wrote and sent you an answer, but it must not have gone through. I feel it is a stretch at this point to say this may be a LWW painting; however I was not familiar with the artist until I did some research. I found some of her portraits and there may be one or two earlier pieces that are somewhat similar; but not enough to feel her style. The color palette is completely different and I also noticed that she always signs her paintings on the front, not the back, even before she married.
My best suggestion is to contact a major auction house for an opinion. Swann Galleries has one of her paintings in a near future auction so I would start with them. I will give you the link to her listing in their catalog. You will be able to find the right person to send your inquiry. I wish you great luck in your endeavors.
Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.