Fine Art/Value

picture and frame
picture and frame  

Mr Evans,
While going through my late Father in-laws things I found an interesting piece of framed art with a label on the back. I was ready to take it apart and use the frame, but do not want to make a mistake by painting and reusing the frame if it is of value. Any information you could offer would be appreciated.
It reads
Catalda Fine Arts, Inc
 New York, NY
Title  8471v On The Lake
Artist  Walters
Frame No. WA 523
Order No.

Thank you for your time,

Dear Wendy,

Catalda Fine Arts produced reproductions of famous paintings or paintings by famous artists during the mid-twentieth century. Unfortunately, the work that you have by Catalda is likely a reproduction with only decorative value (no real collectible value). Catalda Fine Arts has a somewhat marred reputation, as they were involved in litigation for many years regarding copyright violations to the images that they produced.

If you are interested in knowing more about the work, the 8471 refers to the Catalda inventory number which you can try using if you want to contact the Colonial Art Gallery & CO which acquired all of Catalda's assets in 1983. They should have records and might be able to provide you more detailed information.

I hope that this information can be of some assistance. Andrew Evans.  

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University