Fine Art/old print

Question
Print
Print  

Print2
Print2  
I recently bought an old print (a chromolithography print, I think) and am trying to find more information about. The seller told me it was purchased in the 1950s in Washington and was already old then. It is a beautiful reproduction of a mother and daughter image - in its original wood, gold frame with gesso surround. The back has boards and old hardware. I am attaching some photos. I hope to find out what this is reproduction of and who the original painter was. My online searches produced no results. Thank you!

Answer
Dear Lilia,

I have been searching for over an hour, but unfortunately I cannot find your print on the internet. It is late 18th-early 19th century. During that time most portrait and figurative artists used the same technique and so it is difficult to pin to a particular painter.
I do want to suggest you remove the print from the existing frame temporarily to have it re-framed in its existing frame, but using archival materials that will not deteriorate the print. The wood backing is very dangerous for paper art. If you are not comfortable doing it take to a professional framer. If you decide to handle it yourself, be very careful when you get to the print. It may be brittle and could break. Sometimes there are more images behind old framing. Also, there may be information on the print and artist on the back of the image.
I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley