Fine Art/Eduard Von Grutzner

Hello,I was given a oil painting on oak panel by my Grandfather,it belonged to his father.The painting is fantastic and features Three monks seated in a Monastery cellar beer tasting.There are many similar characteristics to lots of other Von Grutzner,I have been assured it is his work.However after considerable time looking at it over the years i sat on our window seat and using a very strong magnifying glass for some reason i could see a  F.Hanfstaegel 1894 Munchen ..I have never noticed this before.It is definately a oil on oak panel...not a copy,Photograph,Lithograph or anything Hanfstaegel was famous for..I wondered as it was some time after his death (1877)could it have been sold through the company which Hanfstaegel gave to his family?..I have been told it would be worth 10-15000 could you assist..I should mention i have over 150 pieces of art by G Romney,Anton Weiss.Edward Seago etc so i am familiar with works of art i just seem to be struggling with this one in particular.Thank You.

Dear Andy,

It did not take me long to see that you knew what you were talking about. I have done the exact thing; looked at a painting for years and then suddenly see something I did not see before. I take it the painting is unsigned? Where is the Hanfstaegel information; front or back? Can you email me photos of the painting; front and back; and a clear close up image of the Hanfstaegel information? If so, send as jpeg attachments to Please put "Von Grutzner"-Andy in the subject line or I may not get it.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.